DANISH REFUGEE COUNCIL
Legal Support Consultants (Several Positions)
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has recently established a presence in Greece with the aim of delivering immediate assistance and protection-guided emergency response to refugees and migrants based on international humanitarian standards and in line with the Greek government strategy.
The closure of borders in early March 2016 has triggered a build-up of refugee and migrant population on mainland Greece. The displaced population is currently accommodated in 34 emergency reception sites across the mainland, which will keep receiving additional influx from the Greek islands and spontaneous camps over the next weeks. The emergency reception sites are under the management and responsibility of the Ministry of Migration Policy (MoMP) or the Ministry of Defense (MoD).
With the overall objective of urgently improving the quality of the protection environment and conditions for persons likely in need of international protection, DRC projects seek to support primary duty-bearers (Ministry of Migration Policy as the primary actor) to the furthest extent possible through the implementation of protection program including legal aid, site management services, shelter, WASH and other activities in emergency reception centres across the mainland.
Under the close cooperation of the Protection Team Leader/Manager and the legal aid protection officer in the North/Central of Greece the legal support consultant will be referred legal cases to be followed up on site.
Furthermore, the Legal Support Consultants will develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s Legal Aid program.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
· Work in close cooperation with DRC legal aid protection officer and thereby be able to respond to the continuously monitoring and documented needs of the persons of concern
· Handle the identified legal cases from the sites
· Provide individual counselling on the asylum procedure/international protection, representation during e.g. asylum and immigration procedures, family reunification through the Dublin procedure, handle detention cases, follow up on cases regarding the European Relocation scheme and other cases that need legal assistance
· Provide legal aid statistics
· Document case studies, best practices and lessons learned from the legal cases handled
· Any other duties as may be assigned by the legal aid protection officer, relevant to the achievement of legal aid objectives
The position is supervised by: Legal Aid Protection Officer
· Law degree and relevant experience with refugee/migration law and humanitarian law
· Excellent verbal and written English and Greek skills
· Working knowledge of Arabic or Farsi is an added advantage
· At least three years working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
· Strong computer skills
· High professional ethics
Skills & Qualities
· Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
· Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
· Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
· Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
· Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
· Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
· We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The contract that we offer is a freelancer contract.
We offer a fair compensation package depending on your qualification and experiences. DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The positions will be based in Thessaloniki and Larisa (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on 26th of June and the interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organisation founded in 1956 that works in more than 35 countries throughout the world. We are the largest humanitarian NGO in Denmark and consistently ranked as one of the world’s best NGOs according to Global_Geneva.
We fulfil our mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people and host communities in the conflict areas of the world. We also advocate on behalf of conflict-affected populations globally on the basis of humanitarian principles and the Human Rights Declaration. Our work and long-term strategies are guided by our five core values: Humanitarian approach – Respect – Independence & neutrality – Inclusion – Honesty & transparency.
You can read more about our vision and work on drc.ngo.